They had earlier reported that one of Brown’s accusers was under the legal drinking age and in high school. Turns out, that wasn’t true, and other serious doubts are being raised about the story.
If a news organization is going to write a story that could destroy somebodies career, the least they can do is get the facts right.
However, it appears CTV News made a huge mistake in their reporting on the story that caused Patrick Brown to lose his job as Ontario PC Party Leader.
As reported by CBC, “CTV News published a story late Tuesday that changed the timeline of the alleged events. One of his accusers now says she was of legal drinking age and not in high school when Brown allegedly asked her to perform oral sex. “
CTV News had originally reported that the woman was under the legal drinking age and was in high school. CTV has since “changed” the story, meaning their original story – which set off the firestorm that cost Brown his job – contained a huge mistake.
Even worse, there are now growing doubts about the entire story itself:
“She alleged Brown tried to force her to perform oral sex on him at his home in Barrie more than 10 years ago, after meeting him in a bar. On Tuesday, she changed a key element in her original complaint, saying that she was not in high school at the time of the alleged incident. Now, a man who knows the accuser is disputing another key part of her story. She claimed he was the “mutual friend” who drove her to Brown’s house the night of the incident. He denies he ever took her there. “If I had seen her downtown at the bars, I would have said hello and that’s it,” said the man, now 29, a resident of Barrie, in an exclusive phone interview with CBC News.”
In a Facebook post, Patrick Brown ripped CTV News.
A key part of Brown’s post, and a link to the entire post can be seen below:
“I can also tell you that CTV News did not disclose last night that their reporter, Glen McGregor, called an acquaintance of mine yesterday to ask him if he had driven my first accuser to my home – a claim that was made by her. He categorically told CTV that this was completely untrue. I thought surely, CTV News would report on my acquaintance‘s evidence. I was wrong. CTV chose not to report the truth because the facts contradict their phony, made up narrative. Here is my message to CTV News. You lied. You defamed me. I will not allow your brand of trashy journalism to hurt another person in this country.”
CTV News is destroying their credibility
By making such a massive mistake in such a consequential story, CTV News is in the process of destroying their own credibility, and damaging what little credibility the rest of the establishment media may have.
The elitist press loves to complain about independent media and ask for taxpayer funded bailouts, but many will wonder why anyone should support the establishment media when they are making such huge mistakes.
If the media is able to destroy careers based on deception, our entire society is at serious risk.
Whether people personally like Patrick Brown or not, it’s becoming increasingly clear that the establishment media made huge errors in how they covered the allegations against him, contributing to a social media lynch-mob style atmosphere based on flimsy information.
As a result, trust in the establishment media appears poised to collapse even more, and many more Canadians are turning to alternative media sources for the truth.
Photo – YouTube