Petition demands respect for law-abiding Canadian firearm owners.
A rapidly growing petition sponsored by Conservative MP Michelle Rempel calls on the Trudeau government to respect law-abiding Canadian gun owners.
Here’s the text of the petition:
PETITION TO THE MINISTER OF BORDER SECURITY AND ORGANIZED CRIME REDUCTION
- Justin Trudeau has instructed his Border Security and Organized Crime Minister to examine a potential handgun and assault weapon ban;
- The safety of Canadians should be the highest responsibility of government;
- Whenever Liberal governments attempt to crackdown on gun violence, they usually end up targeting law-abiding firearms owners;
- Canadian firearms owners are highly vetted in our country;
- The government is focusing its efforts on law-abiding firearm owners while ignoring data on gun-related crimes being correlated with gang activity and illegal weapon smuggling;
- The government’s firearms legislation, Bill C-71, does nothing to address actual problems related to gun crime;
- Bill C-71 contains no mention of the words “gang” or “organized” crime anywhere; and
- The government refuses to admit that most guns used to commit crimes are from illegal sources.
We, the undersigned, citizens and residents of Canada, call upon the Minister of Border Security and Organized Crime Reduction to:
1. Respect law-abiding Canadians who own firearms;
2. Immediately scrap Bill C-71 and introduce legislation that actually targets criminals while protecting Canadians and respecting law-abiding firearms owners; and
3. Abandon the idea of a blanket firearms ban on law-abiding and highly vetted Canadians
This petition is important, because Justin Trudeau is clearly moving towards a ban on firearms and massive pressure must be brought on the government to stop it from happening.
The rights of law-abiding Canadian gun owners must be respected.
A link to sign the petition is below: