The initial plan of setting up a weak ‘independent panel’ was slammed by the families of the victims and generated huge backlash.
In a big reversal, the federal government says they will be holding a public inquiry into the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
The move comes after the original plan – a weak ‘independent panel’ that would not have had the power to compel witnesses – was slammed by the families of the victims, and caused outrage among Canadians who had been clearly and strongly demanding a more powerful Public Inquiry.
Here’s what public safety minister Bill Blair said in a statement:
BREAKING: Federal Public Safety Minister Bill Blair says that a public inquiry will be held into the Nova Scotia Shooting. pic.twitter.com/gY1GHjqagB
— Alexander Quon (@AlexanderQuon) July 28, 2020
This is what the government should have done from the beginning.
The fact that it took such massive public pressure has led to a huge surge in people wondering why the government was so unwilling to have a public inquiry, and to wonder what the government may have been hiding.
So, even though this announcement today is good, we must continue to keep the pressure on and make sure the government doesn’t try to pull the wool over our eyes again.
The families, and all Canadians, deserve answers.
Photo – YouTube