Over 10,000 people have already signed.
Conservative Health Critic Michelle Rempel Garner has been one of the strongest – and rare – voices at the federal level (among political parties with seats in the House of Commons) pushing back against continued lockdowns and the federal COVID ‘prison-hotels.’
Now, she is sponsoring a petition calling for a plan to end lockdowns, and making the point that mass lockdowns were never supposed to be a long-term measure.
Here is the text of the petition:
Petition to the Prime Minister
- A year into the pandemic, tools to prevent spread and reduce serious illness, like rapid tests, data on how COVID-19 spreads, therapeutics, and vaccines, are available, and being utilized globally, but are not being effectively deployed in Canada;
- Canadians need hope and a clear, permanent path out of lockdowns to preserve their mental health, and a plan to save their livelihoods while using tools to prevent COVID-19 deaths;
- Other countries have released data-driven plans to permanently end lockdowns and lift restrictions;
- Mass economic lockdowns should never have been viewed as a long term measure to prevent spread of COVID-19 but rather they should be temporary and designed to allow governments time to develop more sustainable solutions;
- Prolonged lockdowns across Canada have led to large increases in domestic violence, opioid deaths, mental health crises, business closures, unemployment, and they create inequality;
- The Liberal government has failed to implement a national rapid testing plan;
- Canada is months behind other countries in vaccination; and
- Government budgets depend on economic projections that cannot be responsibly developed without a plan to end mass lockdowns and restrictions.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Prime Minister to:
1. Immediately present a clear plan to get Canadians safely out of lockdown, and that this plan include data-driven goals, a plan of action and a timeline to achieve those goals; and
2. Ensure that this plan is articulated to Canadians so that they can have hope about when life and business will return to normal.
Since opening for signature on March 3, over 10,000 people have signed it.
The more who sign, the stronger the message to the government will be.
We have seen politicians push far beyond their authority and infringe on the personal rights and freedoms of Canadians, and while it took a long-time for many to speak out against it, it is good to see Michelle Rempel Garner showing leadership on this issue.
The petition link can be accessed here
Photo – YouTube[widget id="top-posts-5"]